Word today that the Oregon Open Primary initiative has hit the 85,000 signature mark. They need several thousand more to be sure to have enough valid signatures to get the issue on the November ballot.
If you're in Oregon, there are three things you can do to help:
- Contact the campaign to have signature sheets sent to you. Even if you can only sign up a few folks near you, every little bit helps. You can sign up online or can call the campaign office at (503) 736-2552.
- Volunteer to work as a signature gatherer at one of the following events:
- Hillsboro 4th of July parade
- Portland Blues Festival
- Any 4th of July event on the Oregon Coast
- The St. Paul Rodeo
- The Ashland 4th of July parade
- Sign the petition. Look for a volunteer at one of these events. Or contact the campaign office to find out where you can sign.
The campaign is asking the current gaggle of voluenteers already holding petition sheets to mail them by july 3 or get them to the campaign office by july 5. The address is:Oregon Open Primary, 921 SW Washington St. - Suite 810, Portland, OR 97205.
This is a smart iniative, the kind of thing that keeps Oregon the progressive place it is. Pitch in -- it will be worth it.